Friday, November 6, 2009

Mail Bag: Reilly methods and theories

I recently received an email from a young artist...

Dear Erik,

Could you please redirect me to a good Frank Reilly's reference book? I have seen some impressive head drawing and line construction on various blogs, but with no explanations. I am would be very grateful for any piece of information you can provide.

Very Sincerely,

...and it occurred to me this may be a question others have

Mastering Drawing the Human Figure From Life, Memory, Imagination by Jack Faragasso
A good resource, but perhaps needlessly complicated and it reads like stereo instructions

Values for Pictures Worth a Thousand Words by Apollo Dorian
Not as familiar with this book, I am looking into getting a copy because I have heard good things

The Frank Reilly School of Art by Doug Higgins
Good info, but the visuals could be better

"The Art of Color and Design" by Maitland Graves.
Reilly is not mentioned in the text but this book is based on lectures Reilly gave at Pratt Institute. Good info all the same though

The Artist's Atelier: Reference guide to Structural Concepts and Principles by Henry J.T. Doren
Only for absolute Reilly completeists

1 comment:

sleahcim said...

What about Mastering the Craft of Painting by Angelo John Grado? I have it but I have no idea how close it follows Reilly. A lot of the drawings in this book mirror the stuff on Higgins site.